IF DISASTER STRIKES
If disaster strikes:
- Remain calm and patient. Put your plan into action.
- Check for injuries
- Give first aid and get help for seriously injured people.
- Listen to your battery powered radio for news and instructions
- Evacuate, if advised to do so. Wear protective clothing and sturdy shoes.
Check for damage in your home...
- Use flashlights--do not light matches or turn on electrical switches, if you suspect damage.
- Check for fires, fire hazards and other household hazards.
- Sniff for gas leaks, starting at the water heater. If you smell gas or suspect a leak, turn off the main gas valve, open windows, and get everyone outside quickly.
- Shut off any other damaged utilities.
- Clean up spilled medicines, bleaches, gasoline and other flammable liquids immediately.
- Confine or secure your pets.
- Call your family contact--do not use the telephone again unless it is a life-threatening emergency.
- Check on your neighbors, especially elderly or disabled persons.
- Make sure you have an adequate water supply in case service is cut off.
- Stay away from downed power lines.